Envelope Project

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

HiHo HiHo It's Off to School We Go

Yesterday and today are classroom days. While I'm sitting there dreaming about designing quilts or drawing doodles and sketching quilt design patterns, in reality I'm listening to a myriad of speakers talk about transfer pricing. Hooboy. Now that's exciting! It's what I do in my day job so I have to pay attention and at the same time realize that this is not what I want to do. I do like my day job and it pays the bills nicely, thank you, but knowing that there's another world out there that's filled with color and possibilities is overwhelming at times. It's so hard for me to turn my brain off "numbers" mode and go to "creative" mode at night. I know a lot of people do it, but for some reason it's really hard for me to do. I think part of it may be that I really enjoy the creating side and I feel really, really good when I'm sewing, quilting, crafting. I'm afraid that I will start to resent my day job and feel like it's holding me back so I only make time for the fun stuff on the weekend. Even then, I spend a lot of time thinking before I ever sit at the sewing machine, or stare at the design wall or pick out fabrics, or load the longarm. Once I get started, though, watch out. I'm on a roll. Then Monday comes and all my fun stuff gets set aside. If I could only learn to compartmentalize better. Oh, well.

Well, it's off to school for me now. I've got plenty of scratch paper for today's design ideas. Just kidding. I really am learning a lot and it's stuff I need to know. So the doodles are being kept to a minimum!

No comments: