Envelope Project

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Some Girls Collect Shoes . . .

Me?  I'll take a pair of nice, comfortable flats and several pairs of running shoes anyday and I'll be happy.  It's obvious to me that shoes aren't my thing.  I did go into Nordstroms a few years ago to see what a couple thousand dollar pair of Jimmy Choos looked like.  My impression . . . UNCOMFORTABLE!!!  Sorry, Carrie Bradshaw.  On the way out the door I looked at a $5,000 purse.  Oh, the leather was beautiful and soft, but the purse was HUGE . . . really, you need a purse that big??!!  I'm too practical to spend $5,000 on a purse.  So, shoes and purses aren't what excite me. 

My excitement comes with a smaller price tag and it provides me with endless hours of pleasure and enjoyment.  (Hey, get your head out of the gutter!)  I'm talking about BOOKS, lovely, wonderful books.  So, when I need a quick pick-me-up, I head to the bookstore or Amazon.com and I tend to purchase more than one item.  On Saturday, my lovely postman delivered these beauties to my door.  Thank you, Terrance!












This book was written by two guys.  I'm not sure if I'll like it or not, but the finger was trigger happy the day I made my online purchases, so I'll let you know. . .


And since I ordered all of these books from Amazon.com, I just had to have me some instant gratification.  So at lunch one day last week, I walked to the bookstore and purchased these lovelies:





I feel a little cheated on this magazine.  It's my own fault, though.  I didn't pay any attention to the fact that someone had taken the insert out that had all the patterns.  But the really irksome part is that since this is a UK publication, the US$ amount is totally overpriced.  3.50 GBP does not translate to $9.25 USD, yet that is what I paid for this magazine.  Ugh!  Oh, well, it's still cheaper than a pair of Manolo Blahniks!!

On Friday I realized that my envelope a day project had been neglected.  I consulted my spreadsheet (because we accountants love our spreadsheets) and lo and behold I started the project in October 2010.  I am coming up on 1 year and I should have 365 envelopes completed.  Do I??  Uh, no.  Apparently I was busier at work than I thought and dug myself a nice hole.  On Friday I still had 197 envelopes to do in 19 days.  Yikes!  The postage alone will be around $100.  I've managed to draw 10 new envelopes yesterday and today.  And as much as I'd like to push through and get it done, I think I'll admit defeat and just keep plugging along without killing myself. 

So, this weekend has gone by way too fast.  There was some sewing, some drawing, some reading, some swimming, some running and some napping.  Tomorrow, the rat race begins again, but it's better than the alternative.  And who knows, maybe one day, I'll break down and try on the Jimmy Choos before I judge them too harshly.  Until then, I'll just keep curling up with my reading and dream of what might have been.  Oh, if only I hadn't dropped out of that art class in college . . . heavy sigh!!

2 comments:

Jan Maree said...

I am totally with you about shoes ad while i must admit i do like a nice handbag that amount of money is just ridiculous! Books howver have an enduring value and i particularly like the sort of books you chose. Happy reading

Annie L said...

Great reading your postt