Envelope Project

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Summer Fun!

Let me just say that if you're a person who likes to take summer vacations, then being a tax accountant is not for you! It's the hardest part of the year for me as the consolidated tax return is due by September 15 and along with getting that puppy ready there are also a million other projects that have to get done. Like audits (federal and state) and an idiotic bunch of lawyers writing new legislation with due dates that are totally unreasonable (e.g., new cost sharing agreements regulations). It's a tough life and one that is a lot more enjoyable when a person is young and has the energy to stand up to the crap and push through. Now, I've been doing this for 20 plus years and I'm tired and wish that somehow thinking creative thoughts would put money in the bank! Ever the eternal optimist! Instead I set my projects aside until the weekends and then I savor them. There is sheer joy in turning on the sewing machine and putting pieces of fabric together. I realize that every time I complete a new quilt, I have all these scrap pieces of which I must then make a quilt. It's enjoyable to watch the new quilt take shape with the same fabrics and yet be totally different. Most of the time the coordinating scrap quilt is harder to make because I'm using odd pieces and trying to get the most bang for my buck. So, I guess I'm trying to say that I have my new pile of scraps that are ready for me and when the weekend gets here, I will probably either piece them for the back of the quilt I just finished, or I will start an entirely new quilt. If I wasn't so tired, I'd go take a photo of the fabrics and post it, but maybe later. It's time now to switch back to the left brain, or actually it's time to go brain dead and get some sleep.

No comments: