Envelope Project

Friday, November 22, 2013

Lost Loves

 
Co-doggie
04/1998 - 07/2013
 
 
Mama
5/1929 - 10/2013
 
I lost two beautiful souls this year.  In July my sweet, sweet dog who gave me so much joy  throughout the past fifteen years said goodbye and left me with a big empty in my life.  I miss him beyond words.  I love you, Co-doggie!
 
And then last month my sweet Mama went gently into that good night.  She spent the better part of October in the hospital, but her sense of humor never left her.  She wanted to go home and so we made that happen.  She was surrounded by family and love.  She gave us so much love and wisdom.  I told her that the best gift she gave me was my siblings.  I told her that I didn't want her to leave us.  I told her that there were things I didn't know yet, but I didn't know the questions to ask.  She told me I would be fine and I believed her.
 
She fought for a year and a half and in the end her body belied her spirit and it was time. 
 
Sometimes, like now, I realize I will never hear her sweet voice again.  That phone number stored under "Mom" will never be dialed again and when I want to know the history of the quilts we discovered after she died, I will never hear her voice tell me about her Mama sewing them.  
 
There's so much sadness in my heart; sometimes I don't think that I can bear it.  But, then I remember that I am my Mama's girl and I will go on.  I will pay tribute to her by being the best possible person I can be.  She taught me those lessons.  As did my Dad.  They are reunited now.  The empty is still in my heart, but I can still hear her laughter.  I will remember all of the good.  I love you, Mama! 

2 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh deer sweetness - so sorry for your losses. May all the good stay in your heart.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

so sorry to hear of this sad loss. Hold those fond memories close.