Envelope Project

Sunday, May 9, 2010

New Addition

Here's the latest addition to my stash of all things sewing. I purchased this baby at Target for $69 plus tax. I wasn't sure what I expected, but I can tell you that after setting the machine up and going for a test run, I am totally impressed with the machine. My $69 Singer and my $2000 Bernina are sitting side by side each other right now. Granted, I would never give up my Bernina (unless I was trading up!), but if I were a beginning sewist (I just recently discovered this word!) with little money, this machine, so far, is worth the money. There you have it; there's my endorsement. I promptly whipped out an apron on the machine (I'll have to take a pic or two and post later). The tension needed absolutely no adjustment and the only noticeable thing the Singer was lacking was the automatic reverse button. Yes, this machine goes in reverse, but you have to hold the lever down the entire time you sew in reverse. Just a minor nuisance.

This weekend I made a backpack to go on the tent quilt that I'll be submitting for consideration to the Houston International Festival. It's an "interactive" quilt and I don't think there's anything like it out there yet. My great nephew, Jackson, was the recipient of the first one (although the backpack is a new addition to the quilt). He assures me that he likes the quilt!! In addition, I started my art quilt that I would also like to submit for IQF consideration. The deadline is May 26 so I better kick it up another notch and whip that puppy out. Luckily I have tomorrow off from work so I'll get another day to work on it. Stay tuned . . .

No comments: